Upgrading to FAPTurbo 48
Upgrading to FAP Turbo 48 is really not a big deal. Not much was known about the details of the new FAP Turbo 48 when I wrote my previous post, FAP Turbo 48 Released, but we’ve learned the details since then and here’s the low down.
Turns out very little has changed with the new FAP Turbo 48 aside from a few default settings and a new expiration date for the license.
New Default Settings
For the scalper mode they changed the default EndWorkTime times for the trading session to 23:30 as well as tightened the stop loss values a bit for the various pairs. And that’s about it!
The EndWorkTime as specified by the FAP Turbo default settings is one EndWorkTime for all pairs which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me given that different currency pairs behave diffrently and should have different EndWorkTime values.
I think because there is only one setting in their settings section that must fit all pairs they are forced to choose one value they think will be a best fit for all the pairs. Unfortunately this is not necessarily the best end time for each individual pair.
I recommend you continue with the end times we’ve set up in our scalper settings section in the members area.
Although they have tightened their stop losses, following our lead just like last time, I still think they are not quite tight enough on some of the pairs so again I recommend you stick with the stop loss values we’ve indicated in our scalper settings section.
New License Expiration
The other reason for the upgrade to FAP Turbo 48 is the new expiration date on the license. The current version is set to expire on September 13th 2009 and the new license for v 48 will not expire until January 16, 2010.
The whole licensing thing probably seems like a pain in the ass to most, but there is some logic behind it … at least for the FAP Turbo guys.
If FAP Turbo didn’t use the license expiration mechanism to force everyone to upgrade to the current version then they would have the enormous support issue of having to support a dozen different versions of the product at one time. This is not desirable to say the least.
Having said that, it turns out that the latest version FAP Turbo 48 download contains files for both FAP Turbo 47 and FAP Turbo 48 so you can choose to continue with the old version 47 if you want to. The reason they did this is because the only real changes they made were to the defaults mentioned above and therefore allowing traders to continue using the version 47 doesn’t really pose a support issue for them.
I recommend upgrading to the new FAP Turbo 48 just to be on the same page as everyone else. Besides if you use our recommended settings the defaults in the new version 48 will get changed anyway.
However, if you’re stuck on sticking with version 47 you will still need to replace the fapturbo3.dll file that comes in the new version 48 download. This file contains the license mechanism that lets your robot trade in to the new year.
The Upgrade Process
Upgrading is easy and here are the steps.
- Turn off MetaTrader (make sure there are no open trades first!)
- Download the new FAP Turbo ZIP Archive from the FAP Turbo website download area
- Unzip the file. You will find a number of files after unziping.
- Copy the fapturbo3.dll file to the “experts/libraries” folder under your meta trader folder which is usually under your “programs folder”. Be sure you are copying it to the correct meta trader folder as each broker usually installs it’s own meta trader folder and sometimes people copy the files to a metatrader folder for an old broker they’re no longer using.
- Then copy the version of the FapTurbo******.ex4 that you want to trade with over to the “experts” folder under your meta trader folder as discussed above. This will most likely be the new version 48 so the file to copy is FapTurbo48_Build225.ex4
- That’s it. Turn Meta trader back on and the new version FAP Turbo 48 should be ready to go
This is really just basic file copying, nothing more. If you need help with understanding file copying I suggest grab the closest computer nerd to help you out. It should only take them 2 minutes to do this.